Sunday, May 4, 2014

food planning

Ever since I have decided to lose weight and eat healthier, I am obsessed with finding new and healthy recipes. Every day I look up food recipes and am finding things I never knew existed.
Have you heard of these things? flax seeds, agave nectar, chia, almond butter, quinoa. I don't know if I was just sheltered as a child or if it's because I started cooking myself.
Things I am learning:

HEALTHY FOOD CAN BE A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE, its why I've eaten bad food for so long. When you live in the lower class, you eat like lower class.

IT CAN BE AFFORDABLE BY CHOOSING A FEW OPTIONS:
             You either have to buy junk food, or healthy food.
             Buying them both can be a money problem

CHOOSE FRUITS IN SEASON.
           Now this one has been a hard one for me, because I LOVE FRUIT! I buy fruit year round                          regardless of the price. I have learned that you have to choose wisely though. Always have the cheaper fruit in your fridge or table. bananas, bags of apples, and oranges are fairly priced year round. If you want more fruit, pick one or two extras as a treat to yourself. In season, buy as much as you want! freeze them for smoothies or baking, or just to nibble on during the winter.

LEARN HOW TO BAKE!
         This one I can not stress enough. Instead of buying packaged muffins, granola bars, and so on.. bake            them yourself! Even brownies and cookies, (if you find a healthier version you still get to enjoy nice treats like that) Try making and canning your own applesauce or spaghetti sauce. You can even make your own breads and yogurt.

SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND SHOP AT A CHEAPER STORE
         For the past 4 years, I have been doing all my shopping at Walmart. Sometimes they have great prices, but when you do all your grocery shopping there, it can really add up. Hit up a Sharp Shopper, or Aldis. I always stock up on my canned goods and freezer food from sharp shopper, but they have mostly snack foods there, so I went to aldis last week and found healthy and cheap food. I got a whole cart full for $155, where at Walmart I only get a few things and end up spending $100 dollars every time.

MAKE A FOOD MENU
        Plan your meals throughout the week. It will help you use what's in your pantry, not have food waste, use up your leftovers, and only buy what you need for the week.



READY TO BEGIN? 

Here is what I make sure I have on hand every week:
fresh fruits and veges
whole grain breads and pasta
whole grain oats
honey
peanut butter
unsweetened applesauce
whole grain flour
string cheese
greek yogurt
tuna
chicken breasts
turkey burger
unsweetened vanilla almond milk


NEXT, FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Laesha Henry

There I have all my recipes I use. breakfast foods, snacks, and dinners. Find the ones you like, find your own, start your healthy recipe search! 







No comments:

Post a Comment